Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Finally.... North Carolina

So we have finally crossed into the promised land. We didnt rush out of the hotel in Knoxville, we were all tired after the physical demands of Dollywood. Besides we only had a short trip of about 130 miles (seriously, after the driving we've been doing, it felt like a couple of blocks). The whole drive was through green and lush countryside with the last 40 or so climbing up into the Smoky Mountains. The landscape was really gorgeous and I'm looking forward to seeing more tomorrow. I'm told the Blue Ridge Parkway is a fabulous drive. We'll also check out the Biltmore Estate tomorrow too, should make for some interesting shots for the blog. After we got sorted out in the hotel we went for a drive around Asheville.

Its a pretty interesting town full of Art Deco architecture filled with galleries, cafes, micro breweries, unique shops and a couple of chocolate makers. I don't think I saw a single chain/brand name store in the whole downtown area (I'm sure thats not an accident). Lots to explore if you had the time. Its pretty laid back and has a good atmosphere nicely augmented by quite a few street performers.

We didn't hang around too long as we were all tired. We stopped into a cool little eatery that had a menu highlighting all the usual hippie stuff (locally produced, fresh, organic, hormone free, etc. etc.) Needless to say I jumped back in the car and drove back to Memphis for a 6 pound burger. :-) Actually I had a delicious Mountain Trout with Cucumber salad and Squash Casserole.

Then back at the hotel Hannah made friends with a little girl who's family is relocating from San Diego to Cary. And she was worried about making friends.... we have not even arrived there yet and she's got one.

Finally made it!!!

The kids enjoyed a couple of good tunnels along the way.

Thats about it... not many photos today. Pity, this hotels actually has a fast internet connection.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Guys, Lovin' the blog, keep it up. If you get a chance on the way to Carey, and since the removals have been delayed, why not spend a day in the NC Wine Country on the way. It's not anything like as developed as California, but there is some good stuff there. Particularly Raffledini's Shadow Springs and Laurel Grove. Let us all know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete