Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Don't Mess With Texas!

Wed June 22nd we hit our 5th state - Texas. (California, Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas).
Lots of cows, pick-up trucks, cowboy hats, "Beef is Healthy" signs, boot stores, gun shops, friendly people, country music.
We had dinner at the Big Texan Steak Ranch Motel - total blast. At Big Texan's you can eat a 72oz steak plus the sides for free... if you eat it within an hour; after the hour you pay for it, literally! Seriously... there were 4 people in competition to eat this 4.5 lb piece of cow along with the salad, bread, seafood, sides this evening. Whilst I was tempted... thought better of it and instead took the 27 oz T-bone. Oh yeah baby!!! Would have had the Black Forest cake but they ran out of it. Didn't fancy the carrot cake - a piece is apparently 94 g of fat... yes you read that correctly. See pictures below of our fun evening in Amarillo, TX.























1000's of cows... Moo! Getting ready for slaughter... Boo!



Ok after a couple of hours we are just about updated on our blog. The internet speed in hotels for uploading photos is a tad slow to say the least. Off to bed now, just realized that we are 2 hours ahead of CA at this point.

3 comments:

  1. Four and a half pounds of flesh!! I'm on the next plane out. Looks like your prediction about this being "one hell of a trip" will be proved true! More posts please.......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was that picture of that humungous steak on your plate only the 27-ouncer? If so, I can't even imagine what a 72-ouncer would look like! A whole side of beef?

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, thats the 72 ounzer. They had 4 guys sit up at a special table with timers over their heads. I went up and took a shot. One of them actually managed to clear the lot in about 45 minutes. The record is an incredible 8 minutes. They guy who did it is also the reigning world champion hot dog eater. One guy (a pro wrestler) somehow managed to eat 2 within an hour. But again, in comparison to what I say in Memphis this was a meager appetizer for young children... I'll try to get that post up soon.

    ReplyDelete